Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of contents
Apple has officially announced that they are releasing a new Apple TV 4k model later this year. Apple fans alike have been patiently waiting for this news since the original Apple TV 4k was released in 2017. With all the hype surrounding the new Apple TV 4k, is it really something to get excited about? Should you upgrade?
Before we begin discussing the new Apple TV device lets take a look at Apples official release video:
Apple TV 4K Improved Video Experiences
With A12 Bionic, Apple TV 4K now supports high frame rate HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Dolby Vision video, enabling fast-moving action at 60 frames per second (fps) to play more smoothly and appear more lifelike than ever before. Apple is working with leading video providers around the world, including FOX Sports, NBCUniversal, Paramount+, Red Bull TV, and Canal+, as they begin to stream in high frame rate HDR. And with high frame rate support in AirPlay, videos shot on iPhone 12 Pro can be displayed in full 60-fps Dolby Vision on the new Apple TV 4K.
The Redesigned Siri Remote
The all-new Siri Remote features an innovative clickpad control that offers five-way navigation for better accuracy and is also touch-enabled for the fast directional swipes Apple TV users love. The outer ring of the clickpad supports an intuitive circular gesture that turns it into a jog control — perfect for finding a scene in a movie or show. And with its one-piece aluminum design, the new Siri Remote fits more comfortably in a user’s hand. The new Siri Remote also has a power button that controls a TV’s power, and another for mute, making it the only remote needed while enjoying TV. Using Siri, customers can easily search for specific shows or movies, control smart home accessories, check sports scores or the weather, and much more. Siri now works on Apple TV in Austria, Ireland, and New Zealand, joining the 13 countries and regions that already support Siri.
More to Enjoy in the Living Room
Apple TV 4K runs tvOS — the most powerful TV operating system — offering a truly unique experience. Its tight integration with Apple devices and services gives everyone in the family a range of entertainment to enjoy from the comfort of their living room.
- Apple TV 4K delivers the most cinematic home theater experience, giving customers easy access to all their favorite entertainment on the biggest screen in the home, like award-winning shows and movies on Apple TV+, including “Ted Lasso,” “The Morning Show,” “Greyhound,” and “Wolfwalkers,” and other popular video services through the Apple TV app. Using AirPods, up to two viewers can enjoy private listening without disturbing others.
- Apple Music on Apple TV 4K turns the living room into a concert hall, offering multiroom audio and time-synced lyrics for millions of songs.
- Apple Fitness+ on Apple TV 4K brings studio-style workouts to customers in the comfort of their own homes, featuring a team of some of the world’s most welcoming trainers across 10 different workout types. The first fitness service built around Apple Watch, Fitness+ integrates key metrics from Apple Watch right on the big screen to offer a personalized and immersive experience that keeps motivation high throughout every workout.
- Apple Arcade on Apple TV 4K offers unlimited access to a growing collection of more than 100 premium games — featuring new original releases, award winners, and beloved favorites from the App Store, all without ads or in-app purchases. Players can pair supported game controllers to enjoy games like “NBA 2K21 Arcade Edition,” “SongPop Party,” and “Star Trek: Legends” on Apple TV 4K and continue the action from iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
- AirPlay on Apple TV 4K lets customers effortlessly share videos, school projects, and other content from their iPhone, iPad, or Mac, directly to the TV. Videos shot on iPhone 12 Pro can be displayed in full 60-fps Dolby Vision thanks to high frame rate support in AirPlay. Photos on Apple TV 4K serves as a dynamic photo album for family members and friends to enjoy photos, videos, and Memories on the big screen.
- Apple TV 4K can be used as a home hub to control HomeKit accessories, and allows customers to view HomeKit video cameras and doorbell notifications on the television screen.
- With multiuser support on Apple TV 4K, family members can enjoy their own personalized recommendations for shows, movies, and music, access their purchased apps in the App Store or play games on Apple Arcade.
Apple TV 4K Pricing and Availability
- The new Apple TV 4K will be available starting at $179 (US) from apple.com, in the Apple Store app, and Apple Store locations. Apple TV 4K is also available through Apple Authorized Resellers and select pay-TV providers.
- Customers can order the new Apple TV 4K beginning Friday, April 30, with availability beginning in the second half of May in more than 30 countries and regions, including the US.
- Apple TV HD with the new Siri Remote will be available for $149.
- The new Siri Remote will be available separately for $59,and is compatible with the previous-generation Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.
- For the first time, AppleCare+ will be available for Apple TV, providing three years of technical support and additional hardware coverage, including up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months.
- Customers in the US get 3 percent Daily Cash back when they buy directly from Apple with Apple Card. And when they choose Apple Card Monthly Installments, they can pay over time, interest-free.
- Customers are able to find the same great shopping and support services at apple.com and at Apple Store locations. Anyone can get shopping help from Apple Specialists, choose monthly financing options, and get Apple Support and no-contact delivery or Apple Store pickup options.
- Customers can try out the new Apple TV 4K at an Apple Store and have their questions answered in person. Before their visit, customers are encouraged to check apple.com/retail for information on opening hours, services available, and the health and safety measures in place.
- Customers who purchase a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free and three months of Apple Arcade for free.
Is The Apple TV Really Worth It? Should You Upgrade?
When it comes to Apple one thing is certain; you get what you pay for. Apple is known for producing some of the highest quality products around. The downside to this? Since they lead the market in both design and quality they tend to set their prices to reflect this.
If you want an Apple product you are going to pay a premium price for it! So this leads us to really considering if the Apple TV is really worth the money. At a $179 US, are you really getting the best bang for your buck?
The answer is NO! Although Apple offers some of the highest quality devices around with their cutting edge technology they are also a proprietary company. Apple does not want to give you full access to their devices. Now, this forces customers to purchase the newest item or additional add-ons. Now ask yourself what good is a $179 device if you are limited on what you can do with it?
If you only stick with Apple TV subscriptions then you may want to upgrade. But when it comes to the average cord-cutter we not only want but need full access to our devices. Having this access allows us to sideload applications so that we can get the most out of our devices.
So what devices should you consider?
Keeping the new Apple TV 4K pricing in mind we are going to recommend two comparable products. Coming in at the lowest cost is the extremely popular Amazon Fire TV Cube. This device can handle it all including 4K streaming.
Want to get the most for your money, for just a few extra bucks you can get the Nvidia Shield Pro! With the Shield, you will immediately take your streaming to the next level. One of the biggest benefits of getting the Shield compared to the Cube is that it offers faster internet speeds. Faster speeds mean less downtime and high-quality streams without buffering!
There are plenty of devices on the market that can give you just as good of an experience as the new Apple TV 4K. There’s nothing wrong with their product and it should be considered a top competitor in the streaming market. The only question you should be left asking yourself is are you able to take full advantage of this product? The answer is NO!